Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

Special Dinner

Saturday, March 1st, 2014

Special Dinner @ Olive Garden

Saturday, Mar 1, 2014

We went out for special dinner at Olive Garden tonight. We ordered couple of pasta items and enjoyed the meal.

Hindu Temple Committees Meet

Saturday, February 15th, 2014

Hindu Temple Committees Meet

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014

Today the Hindu Temple joint committees (that is all those involved in the three committees) met at the Thomasville Road Branch Library. This was the inaugural meeting where members were introduced and some items were discussed. We had a productive 2 hr meeting.

Gayathri’s Wedding

Saturday, February 8th, 2014

Gayathri’s Wedding

Sunday, Feb 9, 2014 7 -11 AM IST (Sat, Feb 8, 2014 9 PM EDT)

Live Stream

We watched in the US the Live Steam of Gayathri and Sri Pathy’s wedding that was happening in Vedaraniam, Tamil Nadu India on Sunday, Feb 9, 2014 between 7:30 and 9:00 AM ( 9:00 PM – 10:30 PM, Saturday, Feb 8, 2014 EDT).

Hindu Temple Meeting

Saturday, February 8th, 2014

Hindu Temple Meeting

Chaires Community Center

Sat, Feb 8, 2014 6:00 to 9:00 PM

I attended one of the organizational meeting for the Hindu Temple this evening. I was running late for the meeting since I had to be at Ed’s retirement party at Logan’s house. I attended it starting 1/4 way through the meeting. Then I left for home soon after they started to serve food as I had to be present for my niece’s wedding being Live Streamed around 9:00 PM.

Attend FSU BCS Championship Celebration

Saturday, February 1st, 2014

FSU BCS Championship Celebration

Dock Campbell Stadium

Saturday, Feb 1, 2014, 12:00 Noon

After VtS and I finishing our Hindi class, we headed over to FSU. VtS had some important course work to do so he went to the science library. I parked my car in the parking lot in front of IMB and walked to the Dock Campbell Stadium where the FSU 2013 BCS Championship Celebrations were underway.

I walked in with my camera (it was open and free admission to everyone). The day was perfect with very little clouds and in the temperature was in the 60s. Soon after I arrived the football team entered the stadium and sat on one side of the podium. The announcer than invited the President of the University, the Athletic Director, the quarter back, and couple of other football players to speak about their experience. During the gaps there were highlights from the season and the final Rosebowl game projected on the big screens. The Head Coach also spoke.

I left around 1 PM with a free poster.

Freezing Rain in eastern Tallahassee

Wednesday, January 29th, 2014

Freezing rain

Eastern Tallahassee

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014; 9:1o AM

FreezingRain-01

Starting around 9:05 AM and at least until 9:20 we saw freezing rain (rain drops mixed with sand-sized to mustard seed-sized hail or ice particles) falling in the eastern parts of Tallahassee.

FreezingRain-02

The temperature was around 33 deg F (just above the freezing point of water).

FreezingRain-03

Attend Temple Proposal Meeting

Sunday, January 12th, 2014

HT&CC-000

Temple and Community Center Meeting

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Leon County Community Center

This morning I along with 50 people attended a meeting organized by the Tallahassee volunteers to consider a proposal to build a Hindu Temple and Community Center in Tallahassee. This meeting had been planned for about a month and the invitation was sent to close to 150 individual e-mail addresses. The meeting room was opened around 10 AM and the volunteers set-up the room for the meeting.

After an initial meet and greet with coffee between 10 AM and 10:30 AM, the meeting proper began at 10:30 AM. It began with a prayer. The tentative agenda was displayed using a computer projector.  There were introductory speeches by prominent members of the community.

HT&CC-001

Then I presented a slide show prepared by the volunteers. I took about 18 minutes to complete it. It was presented in such a way that the questions will be handled at the end of the presentation since several frequently asked questions and answers were prepared. So FAQ followed by presentation.

HT&CC-002

Once the FAQs were completed the floor was opened for discussion. Since I had a prior commitment to host the ACT Thank You Party, I had to leave the discussion around 12 Noon.

FSU ISA Diwali Banquet

Friday, October 25th, 2013

fsu-isa-db-02

FSU ISA Diwali Banquet

CGE Globe Auditorium

Friday, October 25, 2013, 7-9 PM

fsu-isa-db-01

We attended the Florida State University Indian Students Association Diwali Banquet in the evening. Originally we were not aware of the event and were planning to go home. But Neil stopped by the afternoon and invited us to the banquet. VtS had his Halloween face painted but we went anyway.

There was dance and song entertainment by the students. We had later dinner. VtS became a member of ISA too.

fsu-isa-db-04 fsu-isa-db-03

ISA Global Cafe

Friday, October 18th, 2013

VtS Volunteers at ISA Global Café

Friday, October 18, 2013

CGE, 110 South Woodward Avenue

Tallahassee, FL 32306

ISA-GCafe

VtS volunteered for Global Café for FSU ISA (Indian Students Association of Florida State University). They served both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food at The Globe. The Global Café is once a month fundraiser for various Student Government Organization members like, ISA, AASU, and FSU-JSA.

GC-ACA_Posterv3

VtS Interview as Freshmen

Tuesday, August 27th, 2013

VtS Interview as Freshmen

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tallahassee, FL

http://cdn.thinkcreative.com/previews/UOemvbo5-vxqzr7dM

Today FSU news featured Vivek’s interview as part of the freshmen class of 2017. He spoke about the school, the faculty, and his goals for his undergraduate studies.